Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fun with Viruses

So now that November is here, it's time for all the fun viruses and colds to come back out and of course my son had to catch a weird one. He was sick all last week with 103 degree fever which meant lots of sleepless nights and stuck in the house days. The fever finally broke around midnight Friday night in a drenching sweat and I thought we were in the clear. So I woke up this morning and noticed when he was changing shirts, that he had a really weird rash all over his stomach and chest. They were bunches of little red dots everywhere that didn't itch and weren't at all raised. Of course some internet searching turned up the culprit. Roseola - never heard of it or seen it but my son has it. Apparently the rash doesn't show up until after the fever breaks and that's when you figure out you have it. The rash disappears on its' own hours or days after it makes its' appearance. Strange, but now I've learned something new to use on the new kid. 1 virus down, 14 million to go!

I tried to take a picture of it but I don't think it turned out too well. I brought the brightness way down so it would show up better but it probably didn't help much. If you look at the bottom part under the belly button, you can kind of make out some of the spots. Anyway, maybe this post will help another mom searching for "weird rash on stomach and chest."

roseola

No comments: